Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New Year's Resolutions

I can't believe it is 2007! I feel like it only ought to be about April 2006, but sure enough, the calendar tells me it's January 2nd, 2007. Here is my obligatory list of New Year's resolutions:

1. Run the Bolder Boulder. This is the resolution that I tell people when they ask - not that I don't intend to do it, just that it's easier to give a concrete resolution than list off all the less tangible ones listed below. The Bolder Boulder is a 10K race held every Memorial Day weekend. I've never done a 10k before, so this should be interesting. I starting running last October, but due to illness, travel, snow, and the lack of daylight, I've fallen off the wagon! So this week I am devising a training plan, and hopefully in the next few days enough snow will melt that I can safely run in my neighborhood.

2. Read more. I say this every year! A couple of books I'd like to read this year include: Don Quixote, the Jane Austen novels, Barack Obama's book, Robinson Crusoe. Plus, I'd like to stay caught up on the Atlantic Monthly and Time magazine.

3. Organize and decorate my house. Tired of the college dorm room look. I want to paint the walls, get rid of all the boxes, put some art up on the walls, buy a couch, organize my closet, find a nice desk and bookcase, etc.

4. Work on training with Fenway. Fenway is a pretty good dog, but I'd like to finally solve some of his problem behaviors, like jumping up on people, barking, etc. Plus I'd like to teach him to do cool service dog-type commands like putting toys away. That would be super cool.

5. Learn to ski the black diamonds. Maybe not the DOUBLE black diamonds, that can be next year. But I'm definitely ready for the single black diamonds.

6. Make more time for creativity. I'd like to spend less time watching TV and more time doing photography, scrapbooking, playing the piano and other musical instruments, writing, etc.

7. Keep in better touch with friends. I've fallen so out of touch with my Morse and Bowdoin friends - even worse, some of my Colorado friends! So I really want to make an effort this year to remember birthdays, send cards and emails, pick up the phone, and generally be a better friend.

No comments: